Fire on the Altar
Text: Leviticus 6:12: The fire on the altar must be kept burning; it must not go out. Every morning the priest is to add firewood and arrange the burnt offering on the fire and burn the fat of the fellowship offerings on it.
An altar is a place where you worship/commune with the God you believed in. It is the place where lives are made or marred. The state of any man’s altar determines how far and how well he/she will go in the journey of life and faith.
The people of the world quite understand well the cruciality of keeping their altars always burning, and that is why they constantly offer sacrifices to their God. But it’s very unfortunate that many Christians either don’t have a personal altar or have abandoned altars.
Our God is a God that finds pleasure in fellowshipping with His children. That is why God is encouraging us in our daily devotion this morning that our altar must remain burning daily. Every day, the Lord wants you to take responsibility for putting fresh firewood of the word of God and prayers on your altar.
A life without an altar already a captured life. A family without an altar is heading towards shipwreck. Sadly, many of us are so busy that we pay little or no attention to our altar. We are occupied with so many activities that have taken us away from our altars.
If you are to be since with yourself, how strong is your altar? Now you can see why we have bunches of powerless Christians today. Because a Christian without an altar will perpetually remain a powerless Christian.
Read this: Know your identity in Christ
How to keep your altar burning
- Commit yourself to the reading of the word of God daily. (Joshua 1:8)
- Be a person of prayer (Mathew 6:9-13). The Lord wants us to seek above every other thing, the establishment of His kingdom in our lives and our word.
- Put on the garment of worship. An altar is not just a place of request, but a place of expression. The Lord wants you to express how grateful you are unto Him
- Pray and ask God to come and revive your altar if the fire has already gone off.
- Ask God to deliver you from everything that is dragging your attention with Him and robbing you of the benefits of a burning altar.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to come and set a fresh fire upon your altar
Read also: Knowing God personally