Growing in grace and knowledge
Text: 2 Peter 3:18: But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
Spiritual growth is an important step for those who already know Christ and have accepted Him through faith. But we must be born spiritually before we grow … Only when we are children of God, with the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, do we have the possibility of growing in the likeness of Jesus. There are many who strive to develop the Christian life, but if they are not yet born again, they become frustrated in failing to achieve genuine growth in faith.
It is not an automatic process in the life of the Christian: growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ will only be possible through the work of the Spirit of God. We will not achieve it by our own efforts but by the grace and work of the Lord. We only collaborate with the Father’s work in our hearts. Therefore, to grow spiritually we need to have the same attitudes that Jesus had, maintaining a sincere and growing relationship with God.
Seeks to grow in grace and knowledge:
- If you still don’t believe in the Lord Jesus wholeheartedly, that’s the first step! Repent of your sins and surrender your whole being to God.
- Growth is the work of the Holy Spirit. Make room for him in your life and develop The fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23).
- Be an imitator of Jesus. Get to know Him better through true and sincere friendship.
- Read the Bible and learn more about who God is, what His will and purpose are. Listen to his Word, read it, study it with dedication and commitment.
- Live the Christian life with the awareness that the Spirit of Christ is with you throughout the day. Listen to God, talk to him, seek His guidance, ask for his forgiveness.
Read also: CoronaVirus: How to deal with it
Dear Lord, I give my life to you this day so that you can work in me making me more like Christ. Help me grow and appreciate our friendship by maintaining constant fellowship and worship with You. Help me also to understand Your ways more clearly as I read your Word. Give me grace and power to follow the teachings of Christ today and always and strengthen me as I pursue growing in grace and knowledge. In the name of Jesus, amen.
One year Bible reading plan: Day 87 – Joshua 19-21