Jesus is the highest Rock
From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
(Psalm 61: 2)
You may have heard of the great tragedy caused by the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004. Thousands of people were caught by surprise and lost their lives due to the great wave that devastated Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and other countries. There are different occasions in our lives when we are also surprised by big and overwhelming waves that hit our fragile structure. These are difficult situations that are beyond our control. Where do we take refuge in these times of distress?
The psalmist gives a valid answer for our times of despondency and suffering: confidence in the “eternal Rock.” Yes, Jesus Christ is the highest Rock where we are safe. In Him, we are safe even if winds, storms, and earthquakes come, we will be safe. Fear not, God is always with you, and you can take refuge in him (Isaiah 26: 4).
Affirm yourself in Jesus Christ Our Highest Rock
- Whatever difficulty you are facing, God is Almighty. Cry out to Him in faith.
- Pray and ask the Lord Jesus to sustain you in faith during that situation.
- Don’t be dejected; trust that God can sustain you now and always.
- Share with one or two prayer partners the afflictions you are going through and ask them to pray for you.
- Strengthen your spirit through daily Bible reading and constant prayer. God is present!
Oh God, you are the eternal Rock! Help me in this hour. Sustain my life in you. May my feet be firm on the Rock that is higher than me. You, Lord, are my strength every day. You have power over all things, so help me because I am small and weak. I depend on You, and I trust Your protection and Your grace. Thank You for arising for my help. In the name of Jesus, amen.
Read also: Dealing with Depresion